Studies in European Societies” (MA SES) – is a master program fully taught in English, run at the Faculty of Sociology of Saint-Petersburg State University, Russia in cooperation with Bielefeld University, Germany and support by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Centre for German and European Studies (Saint-Petersburg State University – Bielefeld University).
More than 100 students graduated from the Program since it was launched in 2004.
What is MA SES?
- Possibility to conduct multidisciplinary comparative studies discovering the Russian-European space.
- Welcoming international atmosphere in a group blending European, Russian and Asian students.
- Highly qualified international teachers from Bielefeld University, St. Petersburg State University, University of Magdeburg and other European higher schools.
- Possibility to study in English and learn Russian in St. Petersburg — the second largest and the most European of all Russian cities.
- Numerous opportunities for getting involved in the international professional and academic networks available in the large European city: research mobility, internships, schools and workshops. Aside from the unique architecture, museums and white nights.
MA SES covers the issues of current development of the European countries, such as Europeanization of the politics, European market system transformation, structural changes in European societies, migration and cultural policies in Europe.
MA SES is fully taught in English. The curriculum includes more than 30 compulsory and elective courses devoted to the political, economic, social and cultural life of the European countries, also covering modern sociological theories, quantitative and qualitative research methodology and the basis of effective professional communication.